Cam locks have been used for decades to secure various applications. These include cabinets, drawers as well as mailboxes, vending machines, and even vending devices. Cam locks are ideal for anyone searching for a secure solution. Their easy-to-use design and robust construction make them the perfect choice. To ensure their security, as with any mechanical product, they must be installed and maintained correctly. In this guide, we will discuss the important aspects of installation and maintenance for cam locks to ensure that you can protect your information.
Cam Lock Fundamentals
Before we dive into installation and service, let’s understand briefly the components that make up Camlocks. A typical lock has a cylindrical body that includes a keyway. There is also a rotating rod and locking bolt. The cam is a rotating part that rotates whenever the key is turned. This moves the lock into or out of the locking positions.
Cam Lock Installation
1. Select the Right Cam Lock: Selecting the right Cam lock for your application is the first part of a successful install. Cam locks can be found in different styles, sizes, and levels of security. Consider factors such as the type of materials you’re protecting, the thickness of that material, and the security levels required. Before buying a Camlocks, ensure that it suits your needs.
2. Mark the Installation Location: Select where to install the Cam Lock. Be sure that the location is both accessible and functional. Mark the location using a tape or pencil to guide installation.
3. Drill the Hole: Using the hole saw/drill bit of the right size, create the hole in the desired place. The hole diameter should precisely match the cam lock’s cylinder. The depth and alignment must be maintained to ensure a good fit.
4. Insert the Cam Lock: With the hole prepared, place the cam lock from the exterior to the interior of your material. Be sure that the Camlocks sit flush on the surface.
5. Secure the Nut: Inside the material, fix the cam lock by using the nut supplied. The nut’s reverse threading prevents it from becoming loose over time. Use the provided tools to tighten it securely. Stay under-tighten. This can damage either the lock or the material.
6. Attach the Cam and Keyway: Slide on the cam and keyway. The keyway’s surface should be flush with the material. Test that the Camlocks work smoothly by turning the keys.
7. Test for Security: Ensure that the Camlocks are securely locked and unlocked as intended. Please test it out a couple of times to ensure it’s working correctly before you use it for security.
Cam Lock Maintenance
The longevity and effectiveness are dependent on proper maintenance. Regular maintenance ensures that the cam lock functions correctly, as well as preventing issues such as key jamming and lockouts.
1. Regular Cleaning: Dust and dirt can accumulate within the keyway. They could cause difficulties when inserting the keys. You can clean the keyway using compressed air or soft brushes. Verify that no foreign materials are blocking the mechanism.
2. Lubricate Cam Locks: Lubrication ensures smooth operation. Apply a tiny amount of silicone or lock lubricant based on graphite into the keyway. Rotate the keys in and out until the lubricant is evenly distributed. Avoid using oil-based greases, as these can attract debris and dust, requiring more frequent maintenance.
3. Check and Test: Test the Camlocks periodically to ensure it can lock and unlock without issue. Look for signs that the key has been damaged or worn out. Replace it if the key has signs of wear or is hard to turn.