Your liver is one of the most vital organs in your body. It plays a crucial role in digestion. Moreover, it also detoxifies your body by breaking down the unwanted substances in your food. So, it does a lot of hard work.
Any damage to your liver would seriously affect the functioning of your body. That is why you must know the signs and symptoms of liver disease. It will help you contact a liver specialist in India if you experience any of the symptoms. Early detection will make it easier to treat your condition.
Well, liver diseases are not of a single type. There can be various conditions. Each one has different symptoms. However, here are some general signs to indicate there is some problem with your liver.
- Yellowish eyes and face
- Dark colored urine
- Black or bloody stool
- Itchy skin
- Pain and swelling in the lower abdomen
- Nausea and vomiting
- Swollen legs and ankles
- Persistent fatigue
Symptoms Of Hepatitis
Hepatitis leads to inflammation of your liver. It is a viral disease. Your liver will stop functioning properly. It is highly contagious and can spread through the body fluids of an infected person.
What are the noticeable symptoms? Well, you might experience flu-like symptoms in the initial stage. However, you will gradually experience other symptoms as well. These include
- Fatigue and inability to work for long hours
- Dark coloured urine and pale stool
- Jaundice ( yellowish face and eyes)
- Muscle aches
- Pain in the abdomen
- Loss of appetite ( You won’t feel like eating anything)
You can prevent Hepatitis by getting vaccinated. The vaccines for Hepatitis A and B are available in India.
Symptoms Of Cirrhosis
Cirrhosis is a condition where your liver gets scarred. Hepatitis or other liver diseases might eventually lead to cirrhosis. Cirrhosis takes time to form. However, it can turn out to be fatal at times.
You might not experience any symptoms initially. But as time passes, you will start noticing the following signs.
- You will always feel weak and fatigued.
- Spain and swelling in your legs
- You might experience pain and swelling in your abdomen as well
- Sudden and unexplained weight loss
- You will get bruises quite easily
If you experience symptoms of liver cirrhosis, get in touch with the best liver specialist in Mumbai without any delay.
Fatty Liver Disease Symptoms
Fatty liver disease occurs when there is excess fat in your liver. It can lead to other severe conditions like cirrhosis. It generally occurs if you consume too much unhealthy food or alcohol.
Well, fatty liver disease can be of two types.
- Alcoholic fatty liver disease- It takes place due to excessive drinking.
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease- There is no well-defined cause to it. However, it may take place due to an unhealthy diet.
Whatever the cause, excess fat in your liver will lead to inflammation and scarring of the liver. People with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease experience symptoms only at a later stage. The symptoms include-
- Yellowish face and eyes
- Nausea and vomiting
While non-alcoholic fatty liver disease has the following symptoms.
- Extreme weakness and fatigue
- Itchy skin
- Sudden weight loss
- Loss of appetite
- Swelling and pain in the abdomen
- Swelling of the legs
Symptoms Of Genetic Liver Diseases
Yes, genetics also play a vital role in liver diseases. Many problems related to your liver can be inherited. Some of them are as follows.
- Hemochromatosis- It is a condition where your body stores extra iron in various organs. It can occur due to genetic reasons.
- Wilson’s disease- It is a condition where your liver stores copper rather than releasing it so that it can get excreted.
- Alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency- In this condition, your liver cannot produce enough alpha 1 antitrypsin. It is a protein that your liver makes to protect the lungs. Its deficiency can lead to severe disorders.
Maintaining A Healthy Liver
Following a healthy lifestyle can help you maintain a healthy liver. Well, you need to pay particular attention to your diet. You can follow these tips to maintain the health of your vital organ.
- Do not consume too much junk food
- If you consume alcohol, drink responsibly. It is better not to drink regularly
- Do not have unprotected sex. Certain types of hepatitis get transmitted through sexual fluids as well
- Exercise regularly. There can be no better alternative.
- Avoid toxins
- Do not use contaminated needles
Any disruption in the functioning of your liver can have serious consequences. So, you must take good care of it. Now that you know all the symptoms of liver disease, you can stay alert. Get in touch with a good liver specialist in India if you face any problems. Nanavati max hospital has some of the best liver specialists in the country. You can book an online consultation with them anytime.